Why Scraps of Grace you ask??? Primarily because it is through God's grace that I am able to do what I love...scrapbooking, cardmaking, basically anything that has beautiful paper and embellishments involved. This is also a place to share my work as well as whatever is on my heart. A creative outlet for the mind, body, and soul.

I encourage you to relax, read, and browse a while and I hope that your day will be brightened and blessed by what you encounter.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer's Bounty


This basket full is what I gathered from the garden this morning.  Isn't it lovely?  I just love, love, love fresh tomatoes and basil and now I have plenty to make a yummy batch of pesto AND this recipe that I cut out of Wednesday's newspaper for Tomato, Artichoke and Basil pasta.  Sounds delicious doesn't it?  Here's the recipe just in case you have an abundance of fresh basil and tomatoes on your hands that you'd like to whip into something delicious for your family.

Tomato, Artichoke and Basil Pasta
1 pound short pasta such a campanelle
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed, patted dry
1/2 jar (6 ounces) marinated, quartered artichoke hearts with some liquid
8-ounce container of fresh mozzarella (cherry sized)
1/2 cup shredded basil leaves plus small leaves for garnish
1/2 tsp. kosher coarse salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente - just slightly firm to the bite.  drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil.  Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add the tomatoes and saute about 5 minutes or until they just begin to burst.  Add the artichokes with some liquid from the jar (about 1/4 cup).  Cook another 5 minutes to heat through.

Place the cooked pasta in a large serving bowl.  Scrape the tomatoes and artichokes into the pasta and toss.  If the mixture seems too dry, add some of the reserved pasta cooking water.  Add the fresh mozzarella and basil leaves.  Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Mangia!

So if you get to try this recipe before I do, I'd love to hear what you thought of it.  If I have the time, I'll run to the store and grab the fresh mozzarella today and serve it up for dinner tonight despite the fact that I have a refrigerator full of left-overs that need to be eaten up.  It just seems like the perfect summer dinner.
Pin It!

No comments: