Why Scraps of Grace you ask??? Primarily because it is through God's grace that I am able to do what I love...scrapbooking, cardmaking, basically anything that has beautiful paper and embellishments involved. This is also a place to share my work as well as whatever is on my heart. A creative outlet for the mind, body, and soul.

I encourage you to relax, read, and browse a while and I hope that your day will be brightened and blessed by what you encounter.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My House Smells...

...like this yummy stew we had for dinner last night.  Oh my gosh - so my photo doesn't really do it justice but it is so tasty!  We just got our side of beef for the year and my freezer is overflowing with delicious, grass-fed, super-healthy beef and the weather is cooling off...what better conditions to make a hearty stew and yes you do see raisins in that bowl.  They are such a surprising and tasty addition.


So here's the recipe if you're interested.  It's super easy, throw it in the crock pot, let it cook all day while you go about your business and then cook up some egg noodles 10 minutes before dinner and you look like a hero while you're family digs in.

Tangy Beef Stew

1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
1 pound boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes (I find that any stew meat works just fine)
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 medium-size carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2 large celery stalks, cut into 1-inch slices
1 large beef bouillon cube
2 cups water
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (my boys don't like spicy food so I either omit this or use just a little)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Cooked egg noodles (optional)

Layer onions, beef, ginger, salt, carrots and celery in slow cooker bowl.  Add bouillon cube, water, vinegar and raisins.  Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or low for 6 hours or until beef is very tender.

Remove cover and stir in black pepper.  Using a ladle, remove 3 tablespoons liquid from slow cooker and place in a small bowl.  Whisk in the cornstarch.  Pour the cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker; stir/whisk to combine.  Stir until liquid has thickened.  Serve with noodles, if desired.
Pin It!

No comments: